January 6, 2009

Who cares what you are not?

I have run into this time and time again, churches seeking to define themselves more by what they are not than by what they are. It makes them guilty of the very thing they are running away from, Christians who talk more about what they don't do than what they do. Craig Groeshel addressed this in his blog today and he hit the nail on the head, so I have pasted his blog below for you. Follow the link below (the link is embedded into the title below) and subscribe to his blog. It is one of only 2 that I subscribe to and it is always on target.
Todd Carnes

Who Cares What You’re Not?

Posted: 06 Jan 2009 04:36 AM CST

While traveling, I listened to podcasts from three of the most well respected pastors in the U.S. All three started by explaining what their church was not. I’ll paraphrase what they said.

Pastor One: “We never water down our message. We don’t preach a seeker sensitive message.”

Pastor Two: “How many of you have been to boring, dead, traditional churches? Churches like that shouldn’t even exist! I’ve got some news for you! We’re not your grandma’s church!”

Pastor Three: “We don’t preach topical-feel-good, entertainment sermons at this church. Most churches are into tickling ears and making people feel good about themselves, but that’s not us!”

My Rant: I’m thrilled you are passionate about your style of teaching and church! It is very likely a true reflection of your gifts and calling. I pray God blesses your church in every way.

But don’t build your church on what you’re not!

If you do, you’re training the people at your church to believe your way is best and everyone else’s is inferior. Who cares what you’re not?! Be who you are without making others look like they are less.

No comments:

Post a Comment